Help and hints
Adding an observation
Here is all you need to do when adding an observation to our data bank.
- Register with the Network by clicking on "I want to register."
- Enter your login and password then click on "Authenticate."
- Go to the "Add an observation" section in the main menu on the left to fill out the observation form.
- Select the environment in which you made your observation. Wetland species can be found in more than one type of environment.
- Fill in the empty boxes. To report latitude and longitude, move the marker to the appropriate observation site on the map.
- The form continues below the map. In each drop-down menu, select the appropriate choice. Whenever you don’t know how to answer, select "Unknown." Refer to the "Wetland definitions" section in the main menu on the left for available aquatic and terrestrial environment choices.
- Select the category of species you identified by clicking on the +.
- Check the species that you observed. Clicking on a species name will bring up its information sheet. Click on the + to see two new fields: the first lets you add additional information about your observation, while the second is used to send a photograph.
- Familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions of the form.
- Click on the "Add an observation" button to submit the form. We will need to validate your observation before adding it to our data bank.
How do I use the observation map?
The map contains the observations made by all users for all plant species monitored by the Network.
- To download data in Excel spreadsheet format, click on "Download results in Excel format" at the top of the map.
- Observations are shown as yellow dots on the map. Whenever several dots are located near each other in the same geographical area, a marker group is created. You can ungroup the markers by unchecking the "Group Markers" box located just below the map.
- Once you have been authenticated, your own observations will be displayed as a yellow triangle on the map (see legend).
- You can change map type (street, satellite, mixed or relief landscape) and zoom the visible area in or out.
- The form at the bottom of the map can be used to search specific parameters. You can display a single observer, single species, photographs only or other data map (e.g. residential only) by entering data into this form and clicking on "Apply Filter." A new downloadable map (Excel format) containing only this information will then be displayed.
This section contains the information sheets on species that are being monitored.
- The species are classified into categories. Click on a category to see which species are included.
- To display the complete list of species, click on "Switch to "list" mode."
- You can search by environment type.
- Selecting the species of interest will bring up a complete description of the plant, along with photos to help identify it. A species observation map and statistical table can be found at the bottom of the page.
- If you want to receive an e-mail each time an observation of this plant is added to our data bank, click on "Monitor this species." You must be authenticated to have access to this choice.
- You can print the species file or send it to a friend by using the appropriate buttons.